B.S. Computer Science — Class of 2013 — Providence, RI
On May 26, 2013, I graduated from Brown with a 3.85 GPA. Beyond the introductory Computer Science curriculum, I studied topics including software security, computer graphics, distributed systems, computational linguistics, networks, multiprocessor synchronization, and artificial intelligence.
Burlington High School
Class of 2009 — Burlington, VT
I graduated from my hometown's high school on June 12, 2009 with a 4.0 GPA and the honor of magna cum laude. Throughout my four years at BHS, I was a dedicated member of the drama program, the jazz band, and National Honors Society. I was a founding member of the Burlingtones, an all-student a cappella group, which I had the pleasure of co-directing my senior year.
Software Engineer — Summer 2012 to Present — San Francisco, CA
- Joined Dropbox as a full-time software engineer in August 2013.
- Currently work on the Sync Quality team, focusing on the correctness, speed, and robustness of the sync engine (the main system that powers sync in the Dropbox desktop application).
- Worked on the analytics team as an intern in 2012 to improve the infrastructure and build tools around Apache Hive. Built a workflow manager to import hundreds of billions of rows into Hive every hour, perform analysis, generate summary tables, and export data to dashboards and reports
- Launched a high-altitude weather balloon into space equipped with photo-capturing smartphones, uploading photos back to Earth in real time over a long-range WiFi connection (as described on the projects page)
Software Engineer Intern — Summer 2011 — Boston, MA
- Worked on live site development in Java leading to new features deployed throughout the global site
- Developed an email framework to execute thousands of email campaigns daily
- Developed an HTML5 visualization tool to plot TripAdvisor data by location, revealing trends, emerging markets; processed streaming data to reflect site activity through real-time notifications
Teaching Assistant — 2010-2013 — Providence, RI
- Held office hours, explained concepts, and graded projects for Professor Andy van Dam’s course and Professor David Laidlaw’s course over five semesters
- Designed and maintained course web sites throughout the semester
- Developed new assignments, revamped existing assignments in Java and Python, and wrote exams
Software Engineer Intern — Summer 2010 — Williston, VT
- Investigated a MapReduce implementation for large-scale processing of data
- Payment system integration design and implementation in Python
- Aptitude for object-oriented concepts and design, common algorithms and data structures
- Experience with SQL programming and understanding of relational databases
- Familiarity with Apache Hive, Hadoop, MapReduce, and distributed infrastructures
- Extensive experience writing standard-compliant HTML5 and CSS3
- Knowledge and understanding of browser-compatibility and emerging web standards
- Passion for elegant and readable user interfaces and familiarity with graphic design using Adobe Photoshop
- Experience developing in Eclipse and collaborating through version control systems including Git, Mercurial, and Subversion